Saturday, November 24, 2012


Lesson A: Making plans
1.What are you doing after work?1. Ahmed. Hey, Finn. What do you do / are you doing after work tonight?
Finn. I have no plans. I just go / I’m just going home. Why? What are you up to?
Ahmed. Well, I go / I’m going to the gym around 5:00, but after that, I have no plans.
Finn. Ok, Well, maybe I’m stopping by / I’ll stop by later.
Ahmed. Sure. I rent / I’ll rent a movie.
Finn. Oh, no. I just remembered. I have / I’m having a doctor’s appointment at 6:00.
Ahmed. That’s Ok. I’m waiting / I’ll wait fer you to watch the movie. Just come right over when you’re done.
Finn.  All right. I’m going to be / I’ll be there by 7:30.
Ahmed.  Don’t be late!
2. Leah. Hi, Mom. I was just calling to let you know that I take / I’m going to take a 5:30 train this Friday.
Mom. Great, honey. I’m meeting / I’ll meet you at the station.
Leah. No, that’s OK. I wont need / I’m not needing you to pick me up. I’m getting / I’ll get a taxi.
Mom. OK. Do you bring / Are you bringing your friend?
Leah. Yeah. Janice will come / is coming with me.
Mom. Oh, how nice. I cant wait to meet her!
Leah. I’m sure you’re going to like / you like her. See you Friday!
2. Let me check my schedule.Raquel. Let’s have dinner together this week.
Millie. Sounds good. I’d love to catch up with you.
Raquel. How about Saturday?
Millie. Hmm... I can’t Saturday. I’m meeting / I’m going to meet Greg for dinner (meet).
Raquel. Well, then, what about Thursday?
Millie. That won’t work, either. I’m having as usual guitar lessons 6:30 (have).
Raquel. Oh, yeah, I forgot. Well, I’m free next Sunday.
Millie. Sunday, I’m leaving for Dallas. My flight is learning 7:00 (leave).
Raquel. And Friday?
Millie. I have tentative plans with Heidi.
Raquel. Oh? What are you guys doing?
Millie. I don't know. I’m calling Heidi (call) on Friday to see what’s up.
Raquel. OK. Well, then why don't you pick a day?
Millie. Let’s see... Oh, Wednesday, I’m having eye doctors appointment 5:25 (have). Actually, you know what? Jenna canceled our plans to see an art exivit tonight. Do you want  to go?
Raquel. Sure. I’m going guitar lesson 6:30 (go) with you!
3. About you.1. What are you going to do tonight?
- I’m going to meet friends for dinner.
2. Are you doing anything special this weekend?
- I’m going to the Selly with my family.
3. Do you have any appointments this month? If yes, who with?
- I’m having a eye doctor’s appointment with my daugther on Friday.
4. Who are you having dinner with tomorrow night?
- I’m going to meet my husband for dinner.
5. What do you think you’ll do when you finish this exercise?
- I think I’m Aurshing this exercise on Thursday.
Lesson B. Problems and solutions
1.Make up your mind.
A:.
1. Make a living            = work to earn money.
2. Make a good umpression    = make someone think of you positively
3. Make a different            = make a positive change
4. do your best            = try your hardest
5. make up your mind        = decide
6. make a lot of            =  make Jokes about and laugh at
7. make sure                = make certain
8. make a mistako            = get something wrong
9. do the math            = figure out the numbers
10. make any sense            = seem logical
B:
1.A. Which computer are you going to get?
Did you make up your mind?
B. No. I can’t decide. I like this one, but it’s expensive.
A. Well, buy the best you can afford.
It doesn’t make any sense to buy a cheap one.
B. Yeah, you’re right. I need to do the math, and look at all the numbers before I deside.
2.A. Are you all prepared for your interview? You look great. I’m sure you’ll make share.
B. Thanks. I really want this job with the children’s charity. I’ve always wanted to make a different in people’s lives. I know it’s not well paid, but it is how I want to make a living.
A. Well, good luck. You’d better leave now to do your best you Ger there on time.
3. A. I have to give a presentation to the class today.
I’m  so afraid I’ll make a mistake and say something wrong.
B. Well, just make a good impression,  and I’m sure everything will be fine.
A. I know. I’m just scared that the other students will make a lot of me.
2. Let’s ask Daphne.Dear Daphne,
I’m not doing well in social studies. My teacher talks really fast in class, and I can’t understand everything he says. I’d rather not  / I don’t have to ask questions in class because I don’t want the other kids to make fun of me. But I’d rather / I’ve got to do something because I have a test next week. I don’t want to fail it. What should I do? Miguel
    Dear Miguel,
You’d better not / You are going to have to talk to your teacher. He Probably doesn’t even. Realize you’re having a problem. You’d better / You’d rather not make an appointment with him as soon as possible! Good luck!                     Daphne
    Dear Daphne,
I have a part-time job after school, and so far I’ve earned about $2,000. My parents think I’d better not / I ought  save it for college because / I’ll need it then. I disagree with them. I ought to / I’d rather buy a car with the money. It’s my money, and I want to enjoy it, so I think I can do what I want with it. What do you think?                     Risa
    Dear Risa,
You’d rather / You’d better listen to your parents because college is expensive. It’s smart to save money for your education. Plus, I’m sure you’ll want to have fun once you’re in college, and  that requires money. So, you might want to / you don’t have to put money aside for living expenses. Everything costs a lot these days !  Good luck!   Daphne
3. About you.1. Something you’ve got to do this week
- I’ll got to make up my mind about a summer job.
2. Something you’d better do before next week.
- I’d better add anything to my
3. Two things you don’t have to do this week.
- I don’t have to ask questions in class because I don’t want to the other kids to make fun of me.
4. Something you feel you ought to do this year.
- I feel you ought to do some volume work
5. Something you’d rather do now instead of homework.
- I’d rather playing basketball.
6. Three things you’re going to have to do tomorrow.
- I’m going to have to meet friends, do homework and clean the house.

Lesson C. I’ve got to get going.1. I can't talk right now.
1. go to
2. to go
3. i'll catch you later
4. better go now
5. call you back
6. have to go
2.Talk to you later!1. A. Oh, hi. Can I call you back later?
B. Sure, Talk to you back later.
    a. Sure. I’d better go.
    b. Sure. I’ll  talk to your later.
2.A. I’m really sorry. I’ve got to go out in two minutes.
B. Sorry. What to you two minutes.
    a. No problem. I’ve got to go, too. Bye.
    b. No problem. I’m not busy.
3.A. Let’s talk tomorrow.
B. Talk to you later.
    a. OK. Now’s a good time.
    b. OK. I’ll catch you later.
4.A. Well, anyway, I’d better go.
B. I’ve really go to go.
    a. OK. I’ll see you later.
    b. Ok. I can’t talk right now.
5.A. I’m so glad you called. It was fun to catch up
B. Can I call you later.
    a. Yeah, I’ll call you later.
    b. Yeah, it was nice talking to you, too!
6.A. I’d better go. I’m late.
B. I’m already late.
    a.That’s OK. I’m free now.                                    b. That’s OK. I’d better go, too.
3.The end?
1. Liliana. Hi it’s me. Listen, I have a problem. Do you have some time to talk?
You. Not really. I’ve got to go to English glass. Can I call you back?
Liliana. OK.
You. Talk to you later.
2.A.Hans. Hi, it’s Hans. Are you busy right now? I peed to ask you a question.
You. Can’t call you back tonight.
Hans. No problem.
You. Oh, Ok. Talk to  Talk to you later.
3. Doug. Hey! Guess What? I have some exciting news for you!
You. I’d better go
Doug. Fine, Call me when you get home later.
You. I’d better go no
4. Louisa. Hi! It’s Louisa. I didn’t understand the homework. Did you?
You. I’ll call you later.
Louisa. All right. Well, maybe we can meet in the library tomorrow.
You. OK, Talk to you later.
Lesson D. Cluttered lives1.Getting organized
B.
1. do the trick  g                a. make use of
2. is right at your fingertips  b        b. a time when you need money
3. take advantage of  c            c. not having
4. a rainy day  e                d. a lot of money
5. count  d                    e. is where you need it
6. doing without  f                f. make a difference
7. a  bundle  a                 g. be a solution
C..
1. T Buy gifts cheaply when you see them; you can decide who they’re for later.
2. T You can save money if you pay your bills late.
3. F If you don’t have time to read your magazines, just recycle them.
4. F You can save space on your shelves if you put lots of small things into boxes.
5. F It’s better to keep your money in an envelope than a bank.
6. T You should make more food at home.
2.Making room.
    Your closet overflowing, and you need to make room for new clothes. How do you decide what to do with all your old clothes? First, get a box and put in everything you hardly ever wear, as long they aren’t clothes for special occasions.
    Give them all to charity store provided that you have some valuable clothes you can sell Next, use the “two-season rule.” Separate your remaining clothes by season. If it’s winter, put your winter clothes back in the closet. Buy some under-the-bed boxes for your off-season clothes. If it’s summer, store all your sweaters under your bed, unless to the space under your bed isn’t already cluttered!

No comments:

Post a Comment